How do I use spices? We hear it often and on repeat. It's the number one question that we hear in the shop, and we're taking the answer very seriously. So seriously. we've dedicated two complete episodes to answering the question. In this episode, Anne takes to the mic with producer Catherine to talk the how, when and why of spices. After the interview, Anne heads to the kitchen with Lili Courtney for a spiced cookie transformation: Molasses Cookies with Garam Masala.
Here’s a list of the links we mentioned in the podcast:
- During Anne and Catherine's chat, they circled back to Milk Street Cooking Classes several times. Red Stick Spice is a Milk Street Partner Location and teaches their curriculum in their very popular cooking classes. Be sure to listen to Anne's interview with Rosie Gill on Episode 1 of Season 2 of Smidgen.
- Catherine quizzed Anne on some basics including Smoked Paprika, Roasted Granulated Onion and Roasted Granulated Garlic.
- The ladies of Smidgen talked salt and Anne waxed poetic about Smoked Porcini Shallot Mustard blend as a delicious way to ditch salt but keep the flavor.
- In the kitchen, Anne & Lili upped their baking game with two important components: browned butter and Garam Masala. Browned butter (known as liquid gold round these parts) lends toasty, toasty richness to the Molasses Cookies. The Garam Masala is a nice one-two punch of exotic flavor with a little heat.
- If this episode has you wondering where to start, The Essential Spice Starter Kit is a great place to begin.
- If you're in Baton Rouge, don't miss our 60 Minute Spice Master class. Just one hour to full spice transformation!
WHERE TO LISTEN TO SMIDGEN:
Listen to Smidgen on the podcast player above or on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, or your favorite podcast app.