HEAR ALL SMIDGEN EPISODES ON APPLE PODCASTS, SPOTIFY, GOOGLE PODCASTS, PANDORA, OR YOUR BROWSER, OR YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST APP.
Here we are, back with our ol’ pal CHICKEN! This reliable protein finds the way onto many of our dinner tables (for lots and lots… and lots of meals.) With all this poultry, it could be easy for chicken to be boring or even a chore. Anne Milneck, chef and owner of Red Stick Spice Co. has some things stored in the pantry to let chicken be the star of dinner.
Long time listeners of Smidgen know that Anne might even joke about the most convenient forms of the bird (we’re looking at you, boneless skinless chicken breasts!) and there is a lot to learn about the various cuts of chicken, since each portion requires different things for cooking. Anne offers some teaching about what to expect and how to prepare whole chickens; thighs; breasts; and even (gasp!) chicken tenders. Listen to this episode to get a new perspective how to prepare chicken if that’s what is on the menu.
Next Anne shares five items to stock up on (and understand!) if you want to keep chicken interesting. You’ll know how to create new and exciting recipes night after night with Anne’s five pantry staples. Finally, this episode features some of the staffers of Red Stick Spice! Right from the shop floor, you’ll get the skinny on what home cooks like you are looking for, and how the staff helps solve any chicken quandary that comes up.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
- This is a chicken recipe to get excited about! Cashew chicken coconut meatballs with curried tomato sauce. Oh yum! Get the recipe here on the Red Stick Spice Co. blog and be sure to catch Anne making this dish on Facebook Live.
- Anne gives a shout-out to the Zuni Method Chicken. There is a whole post about Sunday Roast Chicken which features a detailed description and recipe.
- Brine! We’ve got you covered with a dry brine or wet brine.
- Did your ears perk up when you heard about a Kale Caesar Salad? Perfect with chicken, maybe this hearty salad will become a part of your weekly meals.
- Spice is nice! Especially for chicken, here are some of the blends to try: bold Barbacoa is your new BBQ flavor with a twist. Mole blend delivers Latin flavors. You heard it more than once: it’s Nashville Hot Chicken! Ow!
- Avocado oil is your poultry friend. Welcome back to Madras spice blend and Garam Masala.
- We are so excited for our C’est Si Bon subscription boxes! Get the goodness of Red Stick Spice Co. each month with a C’est Si Bon subscription—it is so, so good. Makes an amazing gift. C’est Si Bon!
OVEN ROASTED ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
Listen to the episode for a Red Stick Spice Company discount code, special for you, our Smidgen listener.
What did you think of these pantry staples? Did this give you a new view of chicken? Let us know! Hit us up on any of the Red Stick Spice Co socials, including Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.