Any peek into foodie social media during quarantine has revealed pictures of beautiful loaves of bread, tales of sourdough, and beautiful cakes and cookies (still warm from the oven.) Everybody is baking! Anne Milneck, intrepid host of Smidgen and owner of Red Stick Spice Company is… how to say it… not an avid baker (she even claims FOF—fear of flour.) That’s why on this special bonus episode of Smidgen, Anne talks with Sarah Joy Hays, baker and proprietor of Counterspace bakery in Baton Rouge. Listen to this episode to learn what bread recipe you could bake today; what resources will help you become a sourdough superstar; Sarah Joy’s must-have piece of equipment for baking; and Sarah Joy’s top tip for becoming a better cake and cookie maker.
Mentioned on the show:
- SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT – Cooking classes by zoom! You can take a class with Anne Milneck of Red Stick Spice Co. online. Register here: https://www.redstickspice.com/collections/cooking-classes
- Counterspace in Baton Rouge. Website: https://www.counterspacebr.com/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/counterspacebr/
Sarah Joy drops a lot of resources on the episode including…
- For sourdough, Sarah recommends Baker Hands. The book A Baker’s Year by Tara Jensen is the sourdough cookbook she suggests.
- Zoe Bakes is the Instagram of Zoe Francois. Ms. Francois is the author of The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. You can also follow @BreadIn5 on Instagram. Try this bread today!
- Rolls and buns? Check out Cloudy Kitchen—website and Instagram
- Didn’t the hibiscus shortbread sound delicious? Red Stick Spice Hibiscus flower is available or try Hibiscus Sugar. In the sugar department, Red Stick Spice Co. also offers Lemon Sugar and Strawberry Sugar (and other varieties, too!)
- Sarah Joy remarked about Saffron cookies having a wonderful warm quality. Red Stick Spice Company offers saffron in sealed one gram tins.
We really enjoyed making this bonus episode—what did you think? We invite you to reach out to us with any ideas you have, or just to say hello and check in. Contact us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Hear all Smidgen episodes on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora,or your browser, or your favorite podcast app. Smidgen is the podcast of Red Stick Spice Co.